Headspace

For once, Google Alerts actually did something useful! I have Google Alerts set to notify me if any of my sound/art projects are mentioned anywhere. Most of the time it's just garbage (do you have any idea how many times the phrase "six heads" appears in news stories and the like? A LOT, that's how many). A few days ago, however, I was notified that "Songs of the New Erotics" was included on a playlist from CHMA, Sackville, New Brunswick. So I investigated. Sure enough, Penelope Anderson played one of my tracks on "Punk Rock Radio Hour".

I listened to the show and thoroughly enjoyed the selection of punk and post-punk, old and new. And then, in the last 20 minutes of the show, it all went weird (ha ha) with a number of experimental and noise tracks.

This brings me to the purpose of this post. In addition to a track by my project Songs of the New Erotics, Penelope played a couple of tracks by something called Headspace - apparently, the soundtrack to a puppet show (!) that took place in Montreal in the mid-2000s. Super lo-fi, gritty, strange, and mysterious (I immediately recognized the sound of a Casio SK-1 keyboard and was hooked).

Some of the mystery evaporated when I realized I know some of the people involved, but I am still totally digging this truly odd artifact! Wish I had been there to see the puppets and hear these strange sounds emanating from the window of my favorite Montreal shop, Monastiraki, Halloween 2005!

https://youtu.be/44uj8ZbEhA4

-W.A.Davison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irr. app. (ext.) + The Recordists

Bene Gesserit

irr. app. (ext.) + Six Heads